In 1951, William “Bill” Hunter died of a heart attack while working in the field on his cattle ranch near Shadow Mountain. He was less than a year into retirement with his wife Eileen and had been ordered by his doctor to take it easy. For those that knew him, working in the hay fields was his version of “easy.” Eileen decided to bury him near their ranch house, on the property they had dreamed of spending their retirement. The Hunters were well-known in the community, establishing a car dealership and donating land for the present St. John’s Hospital. To read more about the Hunters, visit our Hunter Hereford Ranch page.
Of the other grave markers in the cemetery, it is unknown how many bodies are represented. It was known that Eileen liked to set out memorial plaques for family members and close friends. Some have birth dates, but no completed death dates, indicating the intent for burial, but internment took place elsewhere. Others are markers for notable area residents such as Julius Mosley, builder of the famous Hardeman barns in Wilson. William and Edith Mercill (of Mercill Avenue in Jackson) also made sizable contributions to the community. William’s family homesteaded in 1912 and opened the Mercill Mercantile on the Town Square (present-day Wyoming Outfitters). William served on many community boards and county commissions. Edith is remembered for being one of the founding members of Teton County Library.
This small, private cemetery has restricted access, please be respectful of and observe all postage signage when visiting.